Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

ANZAC Day Facts

Hello! I'm back and today i am going to share my ANZAC day facts! 

i have worked on a slide about Anzac day so here is the link:
Link To ANZAC DAY FACTS


I decided that if you guys did not want to read or go onto my slide, you can read straight up facts:
  1. Did animals take part in war? yes. many animals took part in war; horses were used in the Calvary, dogs were trained to look for wounded soldiers in no mans land, cat were used to catch rats in the trenches,  homing pigeons delivered messages and donkeys carried water and supplies. other animals went to war too, but not workers, they went as mascots
  2. if you don't know what a mascot is, here is some information: a mascot is used to represent a group of people or a team. most of the time is an animal but it can be a soft toy, such as a teddy bear. some people say that mascots are there to help people and help to achieve success. 
  3. Why did soldiers have mascots? many NZ troupes had mascots, dogs were always popular, but there were also cats, birds, donkeys, goats, and monkeys. A mascot was a symbol for the regiment. Mascots were like a friend or a companion, like a pet!! it added humor and fun to everyday life. a mascot was good for morale because it cheered up the soldiers.
  4. Thousands of New Zealanders went to war, they were far away from home and lived in extremely bad conditions. a mascot gave them something positive to think and talk about. they were a reminder of home and normal life. many new Zealanders we injured and even killed during the war. About 40 million people did. Some people probably hoped that their mascots would bring them laughter and keep them safe. 
  5. Where did the mascots come from? some soldiers had mascots while they were in new Zealand, and some had mascots when they were overseas. some soldiers stayed at camp before they joined the fighting. the camp  at Featherston was HOME to many animals;  they included a goat that followed the men around, and a terrier that liked to listen to the brass band! in December 1915, a group of soldiers marched over the Rimutaka hill from the Featherston camp. they were on their way to the ships that would take them to Europe, the newspaper said that the men were as merry as a group of boys on a picnic. they sang all the way up the long steep hill.  the soldiers were lead by their mascot, which was a playful puppy, that had been practicing 'drill' with them. 

I have a QUIZ for you!!
  1. what mascot made a group of boys sing on their way to The Navy (the boat)? 
  2. how many people died in ww1?
  3. what animals were used as mascots in ww1?
Thank you and i hope you enjoyed my quiz. My quiz questions were my actual questions today. i hope your enjoying lockdown :)!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post